Friday, August 1, 2008

Oregon Wines

I live in the Willamette Valley so I'm lucky to have easy access to a variety of well made wines.

Here is my short list of wines I have enjoyed (I personally am a wine weenie and prefer whites to reds, I like them for their lighter flavor and easier food pairing):

Airlie Winery; http://www.airliewinery.com/
I am fond of their 2006 Seven (a mix of seven wines) and their 2005 Gewürztraminer both very smooth and drinkable. 8 out of 10 for the Seven and 7 out of 10 for the Gewürz (figuring a 10 being a wine I would stockpile, and anything 7 or higher would rate a reliable gift for a friend).

Viridian Winery; http://www.viridianwines.com/
I just tried this (it is a new winery) and am quite impressed. The 2006 Pinot Gris and the Rose were both very smooth and desirable. 8 out of 10 for both. The Pinot Noir is also very well crafted, though I don't feel I am the person to judge reds.

Emerson Vineyards; http://www.emersonvineyards.com/
The 2006 Pinot Gris is a 7 out of 10, similar to Viridian's but with a tart finish. The Pinot Noir and the Syrah we both well crafted and I consider them both solid "good" reds. The Syrah was a step above the Pinot Noir (it tasted a little more refined).

If you are in Independence, stop by the wine and flower shop in downtown (next to Ragin River Steak Co. - which is top notch and reasonably priced). They are usually open 3pm to 8pm and normally have free tastings on Saturdays and always great prices on flowers.

No comments: